Mood: I love spices:) The aroma, the colours, the taste, the emotions. I love how they make me feel; I love the stories they tell:) When I moved to L.A., my mother gifted me a traditional Indian spice box (the one in the cover photo of my blog), full of neatly arranged spices, & whenever I miss India, my home or my family, I just open up the box & breathe in the comforting aroma of the spices:) They are a part of me:) But spices are not just about comfort of home; they also represent the thrill of adventure:) I love the allure of wanderlust, the excitement of travelling to new places, breathing in the sights & sounds & tasting the local food full of unfamiliar & intriguing flavours & spices. I love visiting local food markets & quaint spice stores to learn about the spices that the locals use in their cooking. I taste, I smell, I gaze & I always bring home a box of local spices, as a delicious souvenir from my travels & adventures:) This dish is inspired by home & by adventure:) Chickpeas & Curry Powder are popular ingredients not just in Indian food, but also in Mediterranean cuisine. I grew up with these flavours; a regular feature in comforting Indian dishes. I thought I knew about all that they had to offer until I rediscovered them during my travels in Spain. The same ingredients & the same flavours, but used in surprising new ways for exciting local recipes:) I spent hours wandering through the various spice shops in Granada & I finally bought myself a little box of wonderfully fragrant Curry Powder, freshly ground in the local spice market:) Just a little pinch of this magical spice transforms my dishes into plates of finger licking goodness:) Anyway, before I get lost in my dreams about about exciting new travel adventures, let’s get back to the tasty reality;) This bowl of Chickpeas & Green Peas, in a Creamy Vegan Curry Sauce, is my go-to recipe for quick & easy deliciousness. Simple. Creamy. Fragrant. Scrumptious. Ready in 10 minutes! If you’re looking to impress with a last minute recipe, just remember my emergency mantra: When you’re in a Hurry, it’s time to use the Curry😉
Food for Thought: This recipe is dedicated to all us women/Chickpeeps;) For all my wonderful women readers: No matter where in the world you are, we’re all Peas in a pod:) And cute recipe word play aside, Happy Women’s Day to all of us:) #GirlPower
Time: 10 minutes
Serving Size: 2 people
Category: Lunch; Dinner
Author: Animagus Eats
• 2 tbsp All Purpose Flour
• 2 tbsp Olive Oil/Vegan Butter
• 1 cup Plain/Unsweetened Almond Milk
• 1 tbsp Curry Powder*
• 1/2 tsp Salt (to taste)
• 1/2 tsp Red Chilli Flakes/Powder (to taste)
• 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
• 1/4 tsp Pepper (to taste)
Chickpeas & Green Peas
• 1 tbsp Vegetable Oil (I used Mustard Oil)*
• 1 Small Onion (chopped)
• 3 Garlic Cloves (chopped)
• 1 1/2 cup – 1 3/4 cup Boiled Chana/Chickpeas (15.5 Oz. can)
• 1/2 – 3/4 cup Green Peas (fresh/frozen)
• 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
• 1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder/Chilli Flakes (to taste)
• 1/4 tsp Salt (to taste)
• Fresh Cilantro
Chickpeas & Green Peas
1. Heat the oil in a saucepan & add the cumin seeds. Once the seeds start to sizzle, add the onions & the garlic & sauté them till they are light brown.
2. Add the boiled chickpeas & green peas to the pan & sauté them for 1-2 minutes till they have a light char on them.
3. Add the salt & the chilli flakes/powder & sauté the ingredients for another minute. Turn off the gas & set aside the chickpeas & green peas for later.
4. Follow the steps of my Vegan White/Béchamel Sauce recipe & once the basic White Sauce is ready, add the salt, pepper, curry powder, turmeric powder & chilli flakes/powder to the sauce. Combine the spices well, using a whisk, & ensure that there are no lumps in the sauce. Also, make sure the sauce has a pourable consistency (not too thin/thick).
Assembling the dish
5. Add the Curry Sauce to the Chickpeas & Green Peas & mix well. Pour the curry mixture into a serving bowl & garnish the dish with fresh cilantro leaves. And voila! Your delicious bowl of Chickpeas & Green Peas, in a Creamy Vegan Curry Sauce, is ready to be served:) You can enjoy the dish with Rice, Quinoa, Bread or Chapati:) Bon Appétit:)
*Curry Powder is available in all major grocery stores. You can also make the Curry Powder at home using this DIY recipe by by Minimalist Baker:)
*I used Mustard Oil to cook the Chickpeas & Green Peas & it added a unique flavour to the dish:) If you don’t have/like Mustard Oil, you can also use Olive Oil, etc.