Mood: Guess who’s back, back again? PB’s back, tell a friend. Ok, now that the awkward entry is out of the way, all I want to say is..Sorry for the long silence folks! I’ve been missing in action & I’m guilty as charged. What can I say? Life happened. While I was AWOL, I was busy taking care of Jennifer, our newly adopted 8 year old cat, helping my wonderful husband recuperate after a long overdue ACL repair surgery, moving continents (twice!) in the last two months, from Los Angeles to Mumbai to London & finally starting a much awaited Ph.D. programme in the UK. So yes, my plate of life has definitely been full to the point of spillage & as you can imagine, things just got really hectic. Life has finally settled down a bit, but there’s still a long way to go! In the meanwhile, can I tempt you with a “Sorry I went MIA, but I’ll make up for it with comfort food’ recipe & some ‘Look how cute my cat is’ photos? Yes? Sounds good? You got it! First order of business: the recipe! Creamy Vegan White Sauce Pasta with Rosemary Mushrooms & Sweet Corn:) I mean; who doesn’t love a hearty bowl of creamy delicious pasta? Potluck lunches, fancy dinners, lazy comfort food..this versatile dish is an absolute crowd favourite, no matter what the occasion:) Simple. Creamy. Indulgent. Scrumptious. Finger Licking Deliciousness:) Happy Cooking! But first, as promised, some warm & fuzzy kittie inspiration to get you into the cooking mode:)
Time: 15 mins
Serving Size: 2 people
Category: Entrée; Main Course
Author: Animagus Eats
• 2 tbsp All Purpose Flour
• 2 tbsp Vegan Butter/Olive Oil
• 1 cup Plain/Unsweetened Almond Milk*
• Dry Herb Mix (to taste)*
• Salt & Pepper (to taste)
• 2 cups Pasta (of your choice; I used Whole Wheat Spaghetti)
• 2 cups Mushrooms (sliced)
• 1/2 – 3/4 cup Sweet Corn (fresh/frozen; to taste)
• 1 tsp Fresh Rosemary (chopped)*
• 1 tsp Dry Oregano/Herb Mix (to taste)
• 1/4 – 1/2 tsp Sea Salt (to taste)
• 1/4 tsp Ground Pepper (to taste)
• 1/4 tsp Chilli flakes (to taste)
• 3 Garlic Cloves (chopped)
• 1 tbsp Olive Oil
• Nut-Free Crunchy Vegan Parmesan Cheese (optional)
• Fresh Herbs (optional)
1. First things first, let’s get the pasta started:) Add 2 cups of pasta to a pot of boiling water with a pinch of salt & a splash of olive oil. Once the pasta is cooked but still al dente (has a bite to it), take it off the heat, drain it well, toss it with a drizzle of olive oil & set aside.
2. While the pasta is cooking away, we can also focus on the Rosemary Mushrooms & Sweet Corn:) Heat the olive oil in a shallow frying pan. Next, add the chopped garlic to the oil & sauté until the raw garlic aroma has disappeared. Add the sliced mushrooms & the chopped rosemary leaves to the frying pan. Sauté the mushrooms until they have a light char on them & you start to get that wonderful rosemary aroma:)
3. Next, add the sweet corn to the frying pan & stir/sauté for another 1-2 minutes.
4. Add the seasonings (oregano/herb mix, pepper, sea salt & chilli flakes) to the mushroom/corn mixture & sauté again. It’s important to add the seasoning after the mushrooms are lightly charred because if you add them before that, the mushrooms will get soggy & release water. Once the mushrooms are cooked well, set the veggie mixture aside for later.
5. Finally, let’s get down to the White Sauce:) You can find the recipe here. Make sure that the sauce has a pourable consistency, on the thinner side. When it’s ready, set aside the sauce for later:)
6. Now that the individual components are ready, it’s time to assemble the dish:) Add the pasta to the frying pan & combine well with the rosemary, mushrooms & corn mixture.
7. When you’re ready to eat, serve yourself a bowl of the hot pasta with rosemary, mushrooms & corn. Next, scoop up a generous dollop of the white sauce on top of the pasta & veggies. It’s best to add the white sauce on top of the dish & mix it in when you’re ready to eat, instead of combining it with the veggies/pasta beforehand, so that we don’t end up with a gluey white sauce pasta mixture:) Final touches! Garnish the bowl with a sprinkle of Nut-Free Crunchy Vegan Parmesan Cheese/fresh herbs:) And voila! Your Creamy Vegan White Sauce Pasta with Rosemary Mushrooms & Sweet Corn is ready:) Bon Appétit:)
*I’ve tested the White Sauce recipe with Almond/Pea Milk. You’re free to experiment with other non dairy milks:) However, I recommend using Almond Milk because the results were incredible:)
*I used a dry herb mix of Onion, Black Pepper, Cayenne Pepper, Basil, Parsley, Oregano, Thyme, Rosemary, Cumin, Coriander, Lemon, Garlic, etc. You can use a mix of any/all of your favourite herbs/spices:)
*If you’re not a fan of Rosemary, feel free to substitute it with another fresh aromatic herb like Thyme, Basil, Sage, etc:)