Mood: Is that really the time?! Need to get to work! Must make breakfast in 10 minutes or less! Still needs to be delicious though. After all, breakfast is the best meal of the day:) Best part? 1 bowl is all I need for this Vegan Avocado Breakfast Spread Supreme with Basil, Cherry Tomatoes & Truffle Oil:)
Time: 10 mins
Serving Size: 1 bowl (2 people)
Category: Breakfast; Side
Author: Animagus Eats
• 1 Avocado
• 5-7 Sugar Plum Tomatoes (halved)*
• 1 Garlic Clove (minced/finely chopped)
• 4-5 Olives (chopped)
• 4-5 Basil Leaves (chopped)
• 1/2 tsp White Truffle Oil*
• Seasonings: Dry Herb Mix, Ground Pepper, Chilli Flakes, Sea Salt (to taste)
• Vegan Parmesan Cheese (optional)*
My Secret Sauce:
In case you’re wondering why some ingredients don’t have exact quantities, (eg: 4-5 olives or 5-7 tomatoes), it’s because my cooking style is quite free flowing. I encourage a lot of freedom in my recipes, in terms of quantities & ingredients. My cooking mantra is “Taste. Tweak. Repeat”. I usually have a mental image of what I want the dish to look like & taste like, & I improvise & adjust the recipe as I go along. I believe that this flexibility & intuition is the beauty of cooking. It allows you to express yourself creatively & discover yourself & who you are as a cook. So, I encourage you to embrace the spontaneity & be comfortable with trusting yourself during the cooking process. Use my recipes as a guide & trust your gut & most importantly, your tastebuds:) I wish you an exciting adventure of self discovery & delicious creations! Happy Cooking:)
1. Slice the avocado right down the middle & separate the halves. Make sure it’s not overripe/brown/black inside. Take out the seed & then, slice the avocado into squares (like a tic-tac-toe game) within the peel/shell itself (both halves). Using a spoon, scoop out the avocado into a bowl; scraping out every last bit.
2. Season the avocado with Sea Salt, Mixed Herbs, Ground Pepper & Chilli Flakes. I used about 1/2 tsp each of Sea Salt & Mixed Herbs & about 1/4 tsp each of Ground Pepper & Chilli Flakes. You can also add any other seasonings you like. The type & quantity of each seasoning really depends on your taste buds. Herby or spicy, what’s your style?
3. Now, add the most exciting ingredient: Truffle Oil! Seriously, Truffle Oil makes everything better. It’s what transforms this recipe from a simple Breakfast Spread into a Breakfast Spread Supreme;)
4. Using a spoon, mash the avocado in the bowl. Mash it as much as you like, depending on your preference: chunky or smooth. Mine was on the smoother side, with some chunks. Mix in all the seasoning well.
5. Now, add the garlic, tomatoes, olives & basil leaves, & gently mix again. Save some chopped basil leaves for the garnish. Be careful not to bruise the tomatoes or basil leaves too much. We want to enjoy them in all their natural glory:)
6. Transfer the spread to a serving bowl & garnish with the remaining basil leaves, an extra dash of Sea Salt & Chilli Flakes, & top it off with a sprinkle of Vegan Parmesan Cheese.
7. All done & in less than 10 mins! Enjoy this funky & DELICIOUS spread with a slice of bread, some crackers, in a burger…the possibilities are endless! Happy Eating:)
* You can substitute Sugar Plum Tomatoes with any kind of tomatoes. Just ensure that you chop them into bite sized pieces.
* If you don’t have White Truffle Oil, you can also use any other kind of oil: Garlic Olive Oil, Chilli Oil, Plain Olive Oil, etc.
* If you can’t find Vegan Parmesan Cheese in stores near you, you can make your own cheese using this easy recipe by Minimalist Baker.