Mood: So here’s the thing. I’ve never really been big on porridge. I mean, I know people are nuts about it, and Instagram is flooded with delicious photos of gorgeous oatmeal recipes, but me? I never really got the hype. Always seemed kind of boring & one dimensional to me. But my husband, on the other hand..he loves porridge! Give him a bowl of steaming hot oatmeal in the morning & he’s a happy chappy:) So I started to think to myself…”I need to start loving oatmeal. It’s healthy, it’s easy to make & it seems it’s going to be consumed quite regularly in this household;)” And so I set out on a mission of making myself the perfect bowl of porridge. There were several attempts, some good, others..not so much. But today, I think I have found what I’ve been looking for! Presenting..my easy Vegan Mixed Berry Microwave Oats! The sweet deliciousness of berries + the piping hot creaminess of porridge = MAGIC! The best part? It’s ready in 5 minutes in the microwave & basically, it’s hassle free! Plus, the beautiful colour of the berries make this humble porridge look like the sexiest bowl of oatmeal ever;)
PS: This porridge makes a great Valentine’s Day breakfast:) Just add some chocolate & strawberries on this love coloured oatmeal & enjoy the homemade deliciousness with your loved ones:)
Time: 5-7 minutes
Serving Size: 1 large bowl (a generous serving)
Author: Animagus Eats
• 1/2 cup Oats (I used Old Fashioned Oats)
• 3/4 cup Mixed Berries (fresh or frozen)*
• 3/4 cup Non Dairy Milk*
• 1/4 cup Orange Juice (fresh or packaged)*
• 1 tsp of Flax Seed Powder (optional)*
• 1 tbsp Maple/Agave Syrup
• Garnish: Fresh Strawberries, Pecans & a sprinkle of vegan-friendly Organic Brown Sugar (optional)*
1. Add the oats to a blender/food processor & grind them into smaller pieces, until the mixture looks like coarse oat flour. Once you’re done, add them to a microwave-safe heavy bottomed bowl & set aside the bowl for later.
2. Next, add the berries (I used frozen blackberries, raspberries & blueberries), non dairy milk (I’ve used Almond Milk/Pea Milk) & orange juice to the blender/food processor & blend till the ingredients from a creamy smoothie-like texture.
3. Pour the berry mixture into the bowl of oats, add the maple/agave syrup & combine well. Do a taste test to check how sweet the mixture is (Taste. Tweak. Repeat.) & add more maple/agave syrup if needed.
4. Place the bowl in the microwave & cook it for about 3 minutes.*
5. Take the bowl out of the microwave & mix the porridge using a spoon. Garnish it with fresh strawberries, chopped pecans & a sprinkle of vegan-friendly Organic Brown Sugar. And voila, your delicious bowl of Mixed Berry Oatmeal is ready:) It’s best enjoyed fresh & hot:) Bon Appétit:)
* You can use any kind of berries (fresh or frozen): Strawberries, Raspberries, Blackberries, Blueberries, etc. I used frozen Blackberries, Raspberries & Blueberries:)
* I’ve used both Pea Milk & Almond Milk while making this recipe in the past. Feel free to use any type of Non Dairy Milk:)
*I used packaged Orange Juice but you can use fresh orange juice (no pulp). If you use sweetened Orange Juice, then make sure you add less Maple/Agave syrup, so that your porridge doesn’t become overly sweet:)
* Flax Seed Powder is completely optional. But it’s extremely healthy, has a pleasant nutty taste & it’s a great hassle-free way to get a dose of Omega 3 goodness:) I always add it to my oatmeal & smoothies:)
* Nuts & berries are my favourite toppings, for everything, always:) I used Pecans & Strawberries for this recipe. Feel free to use any type of nuts & berries, & add any other type of garnish you like:)
* If you prefer cooking your oatmeal the traditional way, then follow the same recipe & cook it on the stove for about 5 minutes: first, bring it to a boil & then simmer till it’s cooked:)