Mood: Ring. Ring. RIIING. The morning alarm struggles to wake you from your deep slumber. After several snooze attempts, you start to stir under the covers. You open your eyes and find yourself letting out a teeny tiny groan. Your body aches. Your throat feels all scratchy and painful. Your forehead feels warm. You try to sit up reluctantly and finally give into that feeling of dread in your head, “Damnit, I’m getting sick!” Does this sound familiar to you? Yes yes, we’ve all been there. Fighting to keep away that annoying infection that’s lurking just around the corner. I know I myself have felt this way a couple times just in the last month! But I’ve successfully managed to keep that pesky fever at bay (*touchwood*); all thanks to my trusty Vegan Wellness Shot! 5 minutes + a handful of simple ingredients = a Magical Vegan Wellness Shot that will do wonders to boost your immunity and keep you fit and moving! This Healing Potion would make Professor Snape AND Professor Sprout proud (a bit of Harry Potter humour to brighten your day). This healthy drink recipe combines the healing properties of simple super-food ingredients that are commonly used in Indian cooking; such as Turmeric (anti-inflammatory), Black Pepper (improves turmeric absorption by the body), Oranges & Lemons (Vitamin C), Ginger (fights infection) & Cinnamon (anti-inflammatory/antioxidant). For those of you who don’t particularly fancy the strong taste of turmeric and ginger, fear not! The oranges and cinnamon lend a fragrant sweetness to the drink and you could always add a dash of Maple syrup to please your tastebuds:) Whether you decide to brew this as an emergency wellness drink or a daily healing potion; this Vegan Wellness Shot is your new best friend:) Fresh. Simple. Healthy. Healing. Happiness:)
Recipe YouTube Video: Check out my YouTube video to see how to make the recipe:)
Time: 5 Minutes (+ Infusing Time)
Serving Size: 2 Cups
Category: Drink; Beverage
Author: Animagus Eats
• 2 tbsp Fresh Ginger (Chopped or Grated)*
• 2-3 tbsp Fresh Orange Rind (Sliced)
• 2-3 Cinnamon Sticks
• 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
• 1/2 tsp Black Pepper Powder
• 1/2-1 tbsp Lemon Juice (approx. 1/2 Lemon)
• Fresh Orange Segments (optional)
• 1-2 tbsp Maple Syrup (optional)
• 2 cups Boiling Hot Water
1. Add the infusing ingredients (ginger, orange rind, cinnamon sticks, turmeric powder, black pepper powder) to a tall glass jug or carafe.
2. Pour boiling hot water into the carafe and stir well.
3. Add the lemon juice & fresh orange segments (optional) to the drink and stir again.
4. Let the ingredients infuse into the hot water for at least 10-15 minutes (the longer the better).
5. If you would like the drink to have a touch of sweetness, add a dash of Maple Syrup to suit your tastebuds:)
6. Stir well (the ingredients tend to collect at the bottom of the carafe) before serving. Pour into a short glass and serve with fresh orange segments for sweetness (optional). Voila! Your Vegan Wellness Shots with Ginger, Turmeric & Orange are ready to be served:) The drink is best served hot in order to have a soothing effect for your throat! And guess what? You can keep replenishing the hot water supply in the same carafe with the existing ingredients to have a constant supply of the wellness drink throughout the day! Enjoy! Cheers to Good Health, Wellbeing & Happiness:)
*You can either grate or chop the ginger; depending on your preference (taste/texture)!