Mood: Chilly weather, cosy get-togethers & a festive spirit in the air. It must be time for Christmas! I absolutely love this time of the year! It’s so hyggelig🙂 Christmas is one of my favourite holidays & to me, it means comfort, indulgence & celebration:) I wanted to capture all of these warm fuzzy feelings into one decadent dessert & man, I am SO pleased! This Vegan Aquafaba Chocolate Mousse, with Whiskey, Winter Spices, Fresh Raspberries & Hazelnuts, is the definition of indulgence. It’s the perfect addition to your Christmas menu:) Silky. Creamy. Intense. Scrumptious. Luxurious. Finger-licking, bowl-scraping deliciousness:)
PS: I gave my husband a bowl of the Chocolate Mousse & asked him to take a bite & give me his thoughts & feedback. 5 minutes later, he had licked the bowl clean & had the widest grin on his face:) Best feedback ever:)
Time: 1 hour 20 minutes (20 minutes Prep + 1 hour Cooling Time)
Serving Size: 2 Bowls
Author: Animagus Eats
• The drained liquid from 1 can (15.5 oz/439g) of Chickpeas/Garbanzo Beans
• 1/2 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar*
• 1/2 tsp Vanilla Essence
• 1/2-1 tsp Nutmeg Powder
• 1/2-1 tsp Cinnamon Powder
• 2-4 tsp Whiskey/Bourbon (optional)
• 1 cup Semi Sweet Vegan Chocolate Chips
• 10-12 Fresh Raspberries*
• 2-3 tbsp Hazelnuts (chopped)*
• Dried/Fresh Mint Leaves (optional)
• 1/4 – 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
1. First, drain the liquid from 1 can (15.5 oz/439g) of chickpeas/garbanzo beans & set aside the chickpeas for later (Hummus, anyone?). You should get about 1/2-3/4 cup of drained chickpea liquid from 1 can of chickpeas & this should give you approx. 2 cups of Aquafaba Whipped Cream. In a large/heavy bottomed mixing bowl, add the chickpea liquid & the vinegar & start beating it with an electric whisk/beater. Keep the whisk on ‘High’ speed. After about 2-3 minutes, the liquid will start to thicken & turn white in colour. At this point, add the Vanilla Essence, & continue beating the mixture. Keep beating it until the mixture is white, glossy & forms stiff peaks. This can take anywhere between 5-10 minutes, depending on how effective your electric beater is:) A good way to check if your Aquafaba is done, is to turn the bowl upside down & if the mixture doesn’t move & holds its shape, then your Aquafaba Whipped Cream is ready! Once you’re done, your Aquafaba Whipped Cream should look something like this:)
2. Next, add the Nutmeg Powder, Cinnamon Powder, Whiskey/Bourbon (skip this if you want to make a non alcoholic mousse) & Sea Salt to the Aquafaba Whipped Cream, & combine the ingredients well. If the mixture deflates a little, just whip it again till its firm & glossy.
3. Add the Chocolate Chips to a microwave-safe bowl & heat it in the microwave for 1 minute. In case it does not melt fully, heat it for another 15 seconds (make sure you don’t overheat it). Using a spoon/spatula, stir the molten chocolate chips till they form a liquid chocolate sauce. Let the chocolate sauce cool down for 3-5 minutes. You can speed up the cooling process by keeping the bowl on a wet cloth/towel.
4. Once the chocolate has cooled down a little, fold it into the Aquafaba mixture & combine well. Do a taste test & adjust the flavours, of the Whiskey & Winter Spices, to suit your tastebuds:) Once you’re happy with the flavours & have combined the mixture properly, you should have a glossy & fluffy Chocolate Mousse:) Transfer the Mousse mixture into servings bowls & refrigerate them for approx. 1 hour (or more).
5. When you’re ready to serve the Chocolate Mousse, take the bowls out of the fridge & garnish them with fresh Raspberries, Hazelnuts & dried/fresh Mint Leaves (optional). And voila! Your indulgent Vegan Chocolate Mousse is ready! Get ready to enjoy the delightful “yummy noises” (Phoebe Buffay, F.R.I.E.N.D.S., Season 1, Episode 15) & looks of glee from all your guests because this Christmas dessert is a guaranteed crowd favourite:) Okay, enough talk. I’m off to claim what’s left of my Chocolate Mousse. Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays to everyone:)
* You can also use Lemon Juice/White Vinegar/Cream of Tartar, instead of Apple Cider Vinegar:)
* If you don’t have Raspberries, you can also use fresh Strawberries instead:)
* Feel free to use other kinds of nuts as well, like Pecans, Almonds, Walnuts, etc:)
Inspiration: I’ve created/adapted this recipe after reading many vegan Chocolate Mousse recipes.